October 2017 Gallery Night Exhibitor Application Form
IndependenceFirst has a vision for full inclusion of people with disabilities in every aspect of our community, including making, viewing, and exhibiting original artwork.
We are now accepting applications to be considered for participation in our October 2017 juried exhibition to coincide with National Disability Awareness month. Our goal is to showcase the work of professional or aspiring professional artists with disabilities or whose work contains disability-related themes. A selection committee of community art professionals will jury the applications and applicants will be notified of decisions. Selection will be based on the quality and professionalism of the work, size and appropriateness of the exhibit proposed for the space provided, and the benefit of the exhibit to the IndependenceFirst and Milwaukee communities. One, multiple, or no artists may be selected as exhibitors to ensure the exhibition goals are met.
The artwork of selected applicants will be displayed in our reception area, on up to 145 ft. of wall space, for the entire month of October, with an artists’ reception on the evening of Friday, October 20, 2017, the Historic Third Ward Association’s Gallery Night event. In addition to the Gallery Night attendance, IndependenceFirst hosts many meetings and trainings in our facility and can sometimes have as many as 1,000 visitors in a day.
If you receive approval for a showing at IndependenceFirst, an artist agreement will be mailed to you. The artist(s) will have assistance to hang his/her/their show on September 29 and to uninstall the show on November 3. IndependenceFirst does not impose a commissionon sales, but a 10%-30% donation of each sale is appreciated to help defray costs. Agreements are void if not returned within 30 days. All artwork, including sold items, will remain at IndependenceFirst until the end of the show, unless the buyer is from outside the area. IndependenceFirst will provide refreshments for the Gallery Night reception and publicity for the show. The artist will receive 25 postcards for their personal distribution.
DEADLINE: JUNE 2, 2017 (If materials are not received by this date, they will not be considered).
Application instructions on following page.
Please include the following REQUIRED materials in your application, which must be submitted by June 2, 2017 for consideration:
1. A resume including your previous exhibitions, if any, and art experience and contact information.
2. A short biography about yourself as an artist and an artist’s statement or reason for making this work (no more than 1 page). You may include a photo of yourself if you choose. Due to the goals and intention of the exhibition, please confirm that you have a disability in the biography if your work does not contain disability-related themes.
3. A general description of the proposed exhibition, including the title of the proposed exhibit, number of pieces to be exhibited, the medium of the work, and additional descriptions to be used in marketing if your application is selected.
4. High resolution digital images, photographic prints, or digital printouts of all work that is part of your proposed exhibition. Do not send original work. The submitted images should be of the work that you plan to exhibit if your application is chosen.
5. Include Title, Dimensions, Price, and Medium for each work submitted.
Email ALL required materials to: email@example.com
or Mail to: Art Gallery Submission
Attn: Melanie Hupfer
540 South 1st Street
Milwaukee, WI 53204
Click here to view event flyer
A selection committee of community art professionals will jury the applications and applicants will be notified of decisions by July 28, 2017. Selection will be based on the quality and professionalism of the work, size and appropriateness of the exhibit proposed for the space provided, and the benefit of the exhibit to the IndependenceFirst
and Milwaukee communities. One, multiple, or no artists may be selected as exhibitors to ensure the exhibition goals are met.
All entries must be original and entirely the work of the artist. No copies, derivatives, or reproductions; work cannot be based on copyrighted or previously published materials.
The following applies to the selected artist(s):
IndependenceFirst reserves the right to refuse any piece at their discretion, any piece for which an image was not submitted with the application or that differs from the image submitted, or any piece that does not meet the framing/finishing criteria. Final acceptance of all entries will be at IndependenceFirst’s discretion.