Services > Personal Assistance Services

Personal Assistance Services

Consumer and Caregiver
Many people with disabilities would rather live in the community, on their own terms, with care they need, than live in nursing homes.  We offer services that support this choice.

Personal Assistance Services

Personal Assistance Services provide personal care services at home for individuals with disabilities with RN supervision and case management for participants.  This is often a more economical and dignified environment than nursing home care. Participants of this program are funded through Medicaid Title 19.  We have over 1,600 personal care workers that provide services to consumers at home. 

Contact:  PAS Referral Line, at (414) 291-7520 V/Relay.

What are Personal Assistance Services?

Only certain tasks are provided in the Personal Assistance Service Program.  They are:
  • Assistance with getting in or out of bed
  • Assistance with bathing using adaptive equipment for showers
  • Personal hygiene, teeth, mouth, denture and hair care
  • Toileting, including use and care of bedpan, urinal, toilet and bowel program
  • Care of eyeglasses, hearing aids and adaptive equipment
  • Assistance with dressing or undressing
  • Assistance with mobility and ambulation including use of walker, cane or wheelchair
  • Simple transfers from surface to surface including bed-to-chair or wheelchair and reverse
  • Skin care, excluding wound care
  • Changing of consumers' bedding, laundering bed linens and consumer's personal clothing
  • Light cleaning in essential areas of the home used during personal care service activities
  • Meal preparation and feeding tasks

Attendant Referral Program

The Attendant Referral Program provides recruitment and referral resources for people with disabilities who want to hire and manage their own Personal Care Worker (PCW). Participants of this program are paid by the individual with a disability.  This program is funded through United Way.

Now recruiting PCWs who live in Cudahy, Franklin, Oak Creek and Waukesha, Ozaukee or Washington Counties!

Call 414-291-7520 V/Relay for more information.

Attention IndependenceFirst PCWs.  Please attend the paid PCW In-Service workshops designed to refine your skills and knowledge as a PCW. 

A Celebration of Caregiving

Do I Qualify for Personal Assistance Services?

Not everyone qualifies for Personal Assistance Services. To qualify you must have ALL of these qualifications and additional further screening will be required:

• You live in Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Washington or Waukesha county.
• You have a permanent disability and are medically stable.
• You are enrolled and eligible for Wisconsin Medical Assistance services.
• You will responsibly use the services to assure your independence in the community.
• You agree to participate in the management and scheduling of your personal assistance services.
• You have an emergency back-up support or are willing to work to find or establish it.
We’re a WI Medicaid Certified Provider for:
  • Wisconsin Medicaid Forward Health/Badger Care, IRIS
  • SSI Managed Care
  • Family Care
  • Prior approval is needed before services start.

Other reimbursement sources will be considered for consumers not covered under Medical Assistance.


Group pic from YLS  Quick Donate

    Make a donation online now.